Tuesday 23 October 2012

Bynack More. 21st October 2012

Strath Nethy, Cairngorms. 21/10/2012 (Photo: A J Thorley)

Having spent the previous evening on the Glenmore Campsite (NH976097) I was up early. It was a very frosty start to the day, but the skies were clear and the sun was just starting to come through the early morning mist. I put the kettle on and made myself a hot brew whilst I waited for the little shop to open so I could get some fresh bread rolls to make breakfast and lunch with. Over another hot brew I made myself sausage butties for breakfast and cheese butties for the hill.

Meall a' Bhuachaille, Cairngorms. 21/10/2012 (Photo: A J Thorley)

I started the day by cycling from the camp site along the road to Glenmore Lodge (NH987094). Just beyond Glenmore Lodge there is a barrier across the road and the road then turns into a well made cycle track and footpath. I continued along this track passing An Lochan Uaine (NJ001106) to where the track forks (NJ003111). At this point I took the right fork, continued along the track to the foot bridge (NJ021105) that crosses the River Nethy. Leaving the bike behind I crossed the bridge and continued on foot.

Looking across the plateau to Bynack More, Cairngorms. 21/10/2012 (Photo: A J Thorley)

There is a well made foot path from this point that ascends steadily up hill to the huge plateau that sits in front of Bynack More. The track forks (NJ039087) and again I took the right hand option towards the summit of Bynack More. The walking is easy going until you reach the final steep ascent to the summit of Bynack More. The foot path is currently under going repairs and the works will hopefully be completed very soon.

Looking south from the summit of Bynack More, Cairngorms. 21/10/2012 (Photo: A J Thorley)

A small cairn marks the summit of Bynack More (NJ042063). Although not the most interesting of hills in the Cairngorms Bynack More is a fine view point offering fantastic views in all directions. It was very clear when I arrived at the summit and I stayed there enjoying the views until eventually the cold persuaded me to descend. It turned out to be a fantastic little adventure that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The evening sky on the walk out from Bynack More, Cairngorms. 21/10/2012 (Photo: A J Thorley)

No comments:

Post a Comment